Amarnath Yatra 2011 – All you need to know this year (last updated May 23, 2011)
2011 Amarnath Yatra Dates:
The pilgrimage is set to begin from June 29, 2011 and go on till Aug 13, 2011 – the day Hindus celebrate the Raksha Bandhan festival.
(The VHP is talking of unilaterally starting the two-month long Amarnath yatra on its scheduled date of June 15 instead of June 29 as announced by Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra. However, we believe its an unnecessary controversy at this point, and please plan with June 29th as the start date)
This year yatra shall commence simultaneously, along both the Baltal and the Chandanwari routes.
Amarnath Yatra Registration 2011:
The registration for annual Amartnath yatra shall start from May 10 at the counters established in 121 designated branches of the J&K Bank, 24 branches of the YES Bank and four District Cooperative Banks.
The registration will be done through a yatra permit which will be issued on the submission of the application form, duly filled in, along with the payment of handling charges of Rs15 per yatri.
The form that needs to be filled can be downloaded here: Amarnath-Yatra-2011-Application-Form-Permit
Online Registration: e-Registration for Shri Amarnathji Yatra 2011
Registration Flow & Advisory:
- Check Availability for a specified date and route either through Baltal or Chandanwari (Pahalgam).
- The selected date is the date of start of Yatra from Domel Check Point (Baltal Route) or the Chandanwari Check Point (Chandanwari Route) .
- The maximum number of Registrations per booking is limited to 5.
- Each individual Yatri Registraion shall cost Rs. 15.
- Please fill in the complete Yatri Details individually as required.
- Please provide proper Nomination details of a Relative for payment of the insurance claim in case of death due to accident.
- Please ensure that the Billing details are provided for the person making the payment through credit cards /debit cards / ebanking.
- Enter a Valid Email ID to receive confirmation of your registration and for future references.
- Please take a print of the Yatri Rgistration receipt/s in landscape which shall be the Yatri Permit/s for the Yatra.
- Contact details in case of online registration transactional disputes firstname.lastname@example.org , please mention the transaction id in the subject line of the email.
- Please make a note of the Yatra transaction id generated on successful payment , this along with the specified route and yatra date shall be required for Regeneration of Yatra Reciepts (Yatra Permits) in case required
Please click here to begin registration process.
Per SASB, for effective security and arrangements along the difficult tracks, only those yatris will be allowed to enter and proceed beyond the base camps who are in possession of a permit which is valid for a specified date and route. Validity for a specific date does not sound reasonable because of change of travel plans due to weather, logistical issues, etc. There is hope that the yatra and security officials on the ground will be able to manage the situation in such cases.
Also, last year, a Yatri duly registered by the Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board for the Yatra 2010, having a valid Yatra Permit issued by the SASB will be entitled to an insurance cover of Rs. One lac in case of death due to accident while undertaking the Yatra
How soon should you register?
Note that the registration will be done on First-Come-First-Serve Basis. Last year, nearly half a million pilgrims had visited the shrine. This year the number is expected to be on the higher side because of the relative calm in the Valley compared to last year when several months of stone throwing and clashes with the security forces had resulted in a drop in tourists and pilgrims into the valley.
How about Helicopter Service?
There are three operators this year:
Himalayan Heliservices Pvt. Ltd. Tel: 011-41649358/59/60 e-mail: email@example.com www.himalayanheli.com
Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd.Tel: 91-0-9968686811 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org www.pawanhans.co.in
Global Vectra Helicorp Ltd Tel: 91-11-46433300 e-mail: globalhelicorp.vsnl.net www.globalhelicorp.com
This is Amarnath-Yatra-Helicopter-2010 with cost and other conditions.
May 15, 2011 – So far a total of 43,435 people have opted for the traditional Pahalgam route and 36,878 have secured registration for the Baltal route.
May 22, 2011 – On an average during the past 12 days, over 12500 Yatris have been availing the registration facility every day. Of 1,50,961 Yatris registered so far, 78,287 have opted for the traditional Pahalgam route and 72,674 have secured registration for the Baltal route.